30 Under 30 Musician Features

To celebrate 30 years on the air and invest in the future of jazz, KUVO interviewed 30 local musicians under the age of 30 - several of which are featured on our Live at the Oasis Vol. 11 double CD

These inspiring interviews demonstrate how jazz is alive and thriving in Colorado - thanks to plenty of young and fresh talent!

Browse the musician profiles below to see their full video interview, listen to original music, and learn more about their current projects. 

We hope you are as inspired as we are by the next generation of jazz! 

For highlights of our 30 Under 30 Jazz Jam, visit KUVO's YouTube

Bonus Feature: We are excited to announce the release of a bonus 30 Under 30 feature highlighting L.A. bassist and vocalist Katie Thiroux! Katie's feature will be broadcast on-air the week of November 9. 

FEATURED MUSICIANS: 

Cat AckermannJared AtolAnnie Booth Matt BurchardAlejandro Castaño | Amy Darling Mark EmmonsKyle EtgesMike Facey | Tom Gerswhin | Aleks Girshevich | Walter GorraDaryl Gott Thomas Haupt | Alex Heffron | Neil HemphillRico JonesB.K. Kahn Nate LawrenceWilson Luallen | Kevin Matthews Patrick McDevitt Paul MullikinPaul ShinnEunha SoJoe Sorcic | Katelyn TenEyck Stephen Thurston | Katie Thiroux | Camilla Vaitaitis Greg Wahl

Ways to Connect

Courtesy of the artist

Eunha So | 30 Under 30

Oct 23, 2015
broxtonArt

Eunha So was introduced to piano at six years of age and delved into classical music.

"My mom wanted me to practice five hours a day when I was in elementary school," Eunha said.

Jared Atol | 30 Under 30

Oct 20, 2015
Courtesy of the artist

Musician, composer, producer, and record label owner Jared Atol began playing saxophone and jazz in middle school. 

"My band director literally told me 'play whatever you want' one day," Jared said. "I thought that freedom was really addicting and expressive. That's where it really started for me."

Aleks Girshevich | 30 Under 30

Oct 16, 2015
Courtesy of the artist

Aleks Girshevich - originally from Tashkent, Uzbekistan - began drumming at around four years old.

His father, pianist Vlad Girshevich, wanted Aleks to pick up a melodic instrument. Aleks didn't have an ear for melodies, but he did have rhythm.

Nate Lawrence | 30 Under 30

Sep 21, 2015
Courtesy of the artist

Pianist, songwriter, and singer Nate Lawrence was introduced to jazz through a back door when his parents shared the music of Carlos Santana and the Allman Brothers with him. 

"All that improvisation got me really interested in fusion, like Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock," Nate said. 

Pages